Followers

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Chinatown, La Preciosa and the GAF Viewmaster

  
Who cooks for real any more? Families today go out so regularly to restaurants and dine every weekend that it hardly seems special any more. In my family it was a special event.
Sadly most American families don’t cook food anymore. Spaghetti sauce from a jar, Hamburger Helper, dehydrated mashed potatoes is considered cooking. I grew up eating at home.  I later learned to cook from family, friends and restaurants that I worked for. 

My mother cooked every night. In good times we had steak, in lean times we had rice and eggs or rice and Vienna sausage. I never noticed the difference. The food was good. At that time I believe home cooked food was cheaper than fast food. I never had fast food until we moved to Nicetown and the utilities hadn’t been turned on so my family ate at Gino's hamburgers on Broad St the Roosevelt Boulevard. Ginos was an area favorite. They had the Gino Giant.  McDonalds actually modeled their Big Mac after that sandwich. 
Gino's File Photo

The next time I had fast food was a few years later when my childhood friend, Maryann's mother took us to see Barbara Streisand in "What’s up Doc" and we went to a Burger King. I do love a good burger. Later a McDonalds showed up and change everything. I also remember those burger king and McDonalds commercials that were mini- stories with Ronald, the Hamburgler and my favorite was The Grimace, who originally had two sets of arms. I remember that the commercials were part of my Saturday morning ritual. I never realized that they were marketing crappy food to me until I got considerably older. I am grateful that my parents, either through economic or practical reasons limited my access to this Crap. 

I never saw Disney films as a child. I got all my Disney’s images from Maryann’s GAF Viewmaster. You know, it was the slide show viewer that you would click to see the next slide (Tip, Never walk while looking through a GAF Viewmaster). Her brother Michael always tried to get me to play baseball or stick ball but since I was never any good at it. I would just hag out more with Maryann.  Until I reached pre-adolescence when her mom limited her availability. I remember in second grade carrying her books when she came to my school as a first grader. That's what gentlemen do.
When my father decided that it was time to go out we would go out to eat, it was an event. We would get dresses up and drive or take the Trolley to a few of my parent’s favorite places.  When my parents did go out they would go to 2 places that I remember, La Preciosa and Chinatown
La Preciousa was a Puerto Rican chef owned restaurant. His restaurant was where Latinos went when they wanted something special. It was located down the street from the Teatro Puerto Rico where Latinos in the city would go to watch movies in Spanish. They were mostly Mexican movies at Germantown between Susquehanna and diamond streets. It was the dinner and movie spot for Philadelphia Latinos.

There is a lot of pride in cooking for Puerto Ricans. Every family knows who makes the best Pasteles.( Puerto Rican version of a tamale)  Endless arguments would be debated on whose grandmother makes the best food. No one would dispute that La Preciosa had great food. 
It was a humble place with simple table and chairs. It had clear plastic table covers covering the red tablecloths underneath. There would be salsa and Puerto Rican music coming from the jukebox that would continue playing during dinner. 
On Saturdays it was Sancocho day. Sancocho is a thick gelatinous soup with tripe and root vegetables made with pork stock that is on my list as an automatic sleep inducer similar to Thanksgiving dinner.  The Sancocho was a meal in itself. I would sometimes order a steak with onions, which was different from the one my mother used to make. My mother used to make Bistec ecebollado . Puerto Rican cube steak sautéed and slow cooked in onions and vinegar. Cube steak is a cheap cut of meat that is cubed or perforated to cut the connective tissue of the meat to make it tenderer. 

 At La Preciosa, Chef's steak was a better cut, usually a strip or porterhouse steak perfectly grilled with the same slowly simmered onions in vinegar.
I was saddened to learn that after the Chef died, the place went down hill. Becoming a first a go-go bar then nuisance bar and finally closing in the late 70s. In my opinion there are no matches for Puerto Rican food in the city since. 

Sorry Freddy and Tony’s and Porky’s Point. 

The other place would be Chinatown. Of course I remembered the tea and fortune cookies. My dad’s and my favorite dish was always Egg Foo Young. A scrambled egg omelet with crunchy bean sprouts, green onions and sometimes shrimp or chicken topped off with thick brown gravy and served over white rice.  I couldn’t get my Coke there. There was a time that Chinatown didn't serve soft drinks, just tea. 



On their rare occasion in Fairmount my father would take us to Beatos pizza for spaghetti and meatballs. It was a local restaurant that was near the Museums that my sister would take me to when she wanted to talk to boys.  Remember, I was her tattletale and she would take me to the Franklin Institute, The Philadelphia Library or the Art Museum. She tried to placate me into not telling mom. I didn't care. Whether meaning to or not she sparked my curiosity in science, art and stories. The museums were free for children and it didn't matter if it was just for a little while.  I was both scared and enthralled with the giant heart that you could and still walk through. Beatos was usually a weekday treat. If my mother didn’t cook which meant that she was usually not feeling well, we would go to Batos. I usually had my father favorite Spaghetti and meatballs. The meal was simple and good with lots of Parmesan cheese. I try to cook at home most of the time. When I go out its more to socialize with friends, coworkers and sometime with my students that I work with. 

Below are some of the places I visit and recommend.
Italian food I go to either Ralph’s or the Bistro Romano (where I used to perform in their mystery dinner theater) 


1 comment:

  1. Chinatown is amazing! It's my favorite place in Philly to visit. I ran into Sang there once.

    I'll have to check out Terakawa ramen sometime.

    ReplyDelete